Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A delightful time

I'm having a delightful time facilitating AKOM at a school with a receptive staff. Great conversation and interactive activities have all worked well. I suspect the afternoon will pass by more swiftly than the morning, The school is on a high because of their first ever Exemplary rating.
I like facilitation so much more than training--the rich conversation that occurs has such wonderful implication for further dialogue once I'm gone. It also puts the onus on the participants and reduces the " I'm it" role.
Although I'll be dead tired at the end of the day--physically and mentally-because facilitation does require 'nudging' responses and thinking ahead. I like that challenge--the mental leaps the mind makes when active, engaging dialogue is taking place. A wicked schedule is on the horizon after the PD wave is over--and I'm sure I will probably long for a few days intellectually kicking it with a group of nice educators.

1 comment:

  1. sounds great. while i am still in the early stages of learning about facilitation, i am finding it difficult to "train" as you say. how much foundational knowledge is necessary to facilitate discussion? is it possible to facilitate a meaningful discussion if you're working with a group that is in need of core ideas? isn't there a point where you can't simply nudge the conversation? perhaps the 2 more days of cfg will shed some light on these questions.

    ReplyDelete